Low cost sensors to monitor water level and river flow
Our group has developed prototypes of low-cost water level sensors, which are used in a variety of contexts, including:
- Monitoring ground water wells in Somalia for drought alleviation
- Community-based flood early warning in Nepal
- Evaluating investments in green infrastructure in Peru
- Supporting water management in Tanzania
- Monitoring irrigation systems in India
We use several different technologies depending on the application, including ultrasound, lidar, radar, and pressure transducers. Although they are not aimed for operational use, they are quite robust and reliable. If you are interested in installing them for a research project, then get in touch with Wouter Buytaert.
We aim to provide more technical details on the sensors here soon, so keep an eye on the website if you are interested.